Very early on the morning of 4 June, at low tide, a long-planned operation to retrieve a granite block from the harbour ruins at Trevaunance Cove, with the kind permission of the Duchy of Cornwall and the Blunsdon family, got underway.
Using a tele-handler from Acland Plant the block was scooped up and driven to the Museum, escorted by our Chairman, Roger Radcliffe, whose idea this was, and Vice Chairman, Clive Benney.
By 8 o’clock the block had been lifted into the Museum and was being rolled along the floor on short lengths of scaffolding pole. By 8.30 it was perfectly installed in our VR booth ready for visitors to sit on and be transported in comfort to the north wall of St Agnes harbour in 1904. We can’t wait to share it with visitors.
Shown, guiding the block, are Roger Radcliffe, Clive Benney and Peter Thomas, our Journal Editor.